Chroma’s 61800 Regenerative Grid Simulator has been designed to fulfill these test requirements by providing a full 4 quadrant, fully regenerative, grid simulator with advanced features for compliance, safety and product verification testing.
Market demand for Distributed Resource (DR) products such as PV inverters and wind energy systems is steadily growing as the world strives for clean renewable energy sources. This demand has created a need for rigorous regulation testing to standards such as IEEE 1547 / IEC 61000-3-15 / IEC 62116, ensuring proper and safe operation of on-grid products. It has become critical to manufacturers to conduct these tests to prove compliance and to relieve product liability concerns.
- Chroma’s standard output voltage of 330VL-N as compared to 300VL-N found in the market - 0-300VL-N range does not sufficiently cover a +10% variation for 480VL-L applications
- Optional 0-400VL-N / 0-692VL-L opt. that does not require a transformer (500VL-N – 61800-100)
- Maximum power delivered down to 200VL-N which provides a wider output power range (250VL-N – 61800-100)
- Better front panel display with a real time waveform viewer
- Parallel modular design allowing for field expansion up to 300kVA (630kVA 61800-100)
- Regenerative AC Load option
- Power rating: 30kVA, 45kVA, 60KVA, 105kVA up to 630kVA, single or three phase output
- Output Voltage: 0~330VL-N / 0~570VL-L; 0~400VL-N option without using a transformer; 0~500VL-N option without using a transformer (61800-100); 210kVA 1000VL-N XHV option without using a transformer (2×61800-100)
- Output Frequency: DC, 30Hz~100Hz; 1kHz output frequency option (61800-100)
- Maximum power delivered down to 200VL-N (61800-100 – 250VL-N))
- Full 4 quadrant, fully regenerative up to 100% of output current rating
- Specifically designed for PV inverter, Smart Grid and EV related test applications
- Programmable slew rate settings for voltage and frequency
- Programmable voltage and current limits
- Turn on, turn off phase angle control
- LIST, PULSE, STEP mode functions for testing Power Line Disturbance (PLD) simulation
- Voltage dips, short interruption and voltage variation simulation
- Harmonics, inter-harmonics waveform synthesizer
- Comprehensive measurement capability, including current harmonics
- Analog programmable interfaces
- Remote interface: GPIB, RS-232, USB and Ethernet
- Parallel output for higher power applications (three phase only)
The 61800 Regenerative Grid Simulator is a full 4 quadrant, fully regenerative, AC power supply designed for common electrical product testing such as home appliances and industrial electronics that require a programmable input source. The 61800 is also designed to simulate grid characteristics for testing PV inverters and on-line UPSs. As shown below, power can both sink to and source from the UUT seamlessly to support a multitude of applications. In cases where the UUT sources current, a detection circuit senses excess power and recycles it back to the grid.
The 61800 Regenerative Grid Simulator is a full 4 quadrant, fully regenerative, AC power supply designed for common electrical product testing such as home appliances, and industrial electronics needing a programmable input source.
The 61800 Regenerative Grid Simulator is also ideal for smart grid and EV related test applications such as Vehicle to Grid (V2G) and Energy Storage System (ESS) testing. The 61800 regenerative grid simulator’s extensive feature set is not limited solely to product development during R&D, they are also valuable during design and quality verification as well as throughout various production stages. Using state-of-the-art digital control technology the 61800 can deliver up to 330VAC at output frequencies ranging from 30Hz to 100Hz. The AC+DC feature allows for applications that require a DC offset bias.
In addition to supplying clean, precise and stable AC voltage for regular applications, the 61800 is capable of simulating various types of distorted voltage waveforms and transient conditions required by product validation testing. These are accomplished as shown below using built-in programmable waveform functions such as LIST, STEP and PULSE modes. The STEP and PUSLE functions allow users to perform single or continuous step changes of output voltage. LIST mode is a more versatile function, and allows users to compose complex waveforms of up to 100 sequences. Voltage waveforms required by immunity specifications such as IEC 61000-4-11 (short interruption and voltage dropout) can easily be achieved by the 61800 Regenerative Grid Simulator.
The SYNTHESIS function allows users to create periodic harmonic voltage waveforms of up to 40 orders based on a 50/60Hz fundamental frequency. The INTERHARMONIC function allows users to perform frequency sweeps ranging from 0.01Hz to 2400Hz on top of the 50/60Hz fundamental frequency. This special function assists users in locating the resonance points.
The 61800 series is also able to provide precision measurements such as RMS voltage, RMS current, true power, power factor, current crest factor and many others. By applying advanced DSP technology, the 61800 can easily simulate power line disturbance (PLD) using LIST, PULSE and STEP modes. Additional features such as the waveform synthesis function allows users to program various distorted harmonic waveforms which are required by some regulatory standards. GPIB (IEEE488.2), RS-232, USB and Ethernet interface are available to control the 61800 grid simulator remotely.
The 61800 series further extends its test application capabilities by including optional functions such as B618000: Regenerative AC load function and B618002: 120kVA 800VLN XHV function.
The regenerative AC load function consists of various modes such as CC Rectified mode, CP Rectified mode, CR mode, CC Phase lead/lag mode and CP Phase lead/lag mode.
The Rectified Mode is capable of simulating non-linear rectified loads with characteristics similar to Chroma 63800 series AC load where the voltage and current operate at the 1st and 3rd quadrant. The Rectified Mode supports both CC and CP functions with current, power and CF as parameter settings.
The phase lead/lag mode with phase angle setting ranging from 90 degree ~ -90 degree will simulate the corresponding voltage and current condition under an inductive or capacitive type load. Please note the current waveform is sinusoidal under the Phase Lead/Lad mode (current, PF and phase angle as parameter settings) and when the phase angle setting is in the range of 90.1 degree ~ 180 degree (-90 degree ~ -180 degree), the 61800 will become a current source. The regenerative AC load function is mainly intended for EVSE charging station, hybrid PV inverter, PCS, UPS, and micro-grid related test applications.
The B618002 120kVA 800VLN XHV option is for achieving high output phase voltage up to 800VLN (1385VLL) by connecting two 61860 in series with high performance output voltage transient capability which is unmatched by the implementation of step up transformer. The B618002 XHV option is mainly intended to meet the test requirement of HV PV inverter with line voltage up to 1000VLL.
30kVA - 105kVA Models
61830 - Regenerative Grid Simulator 30kVA | 330V L-N
61845 - Regenerative Grid Simulator 45kVA | 330V L-N
61860 - Regenerative Grid Simulator 60kVA | 330V L-N
61800-100 - Regenerative Grid Simulator 105kVA | 330V L-N
A618002 - Input/Output Terminals for Parallel connection
10702 - Mod Option, 618xx 400VLN HV Output
B618003 - Mod Option, 61800-100 500VLN HV Output
B618004 - Mod Option, 61800-100 210kVA 1000VLN XHV Output – Available Soon
B618005 - Regenerative AC Load option – Available Soon
B618006 - 1kHz output frequency option – Available Soon
100447 - Softpanel for 61800 Series
120kVA - 630kVA Models: Need to achieve higher power for micro-grid test environments? We can do the heavy lifting for you. We can ship higher power configurations from 120kVA to 630kVA, single or three phase output.
Brochure: Electric Vehicle Testing Solutions
Brochure: PV Inverter Testing